Sunday, September 9, 2012

OBX

I didn't really have any definite plans for my vacation, I just thought I would wing it.  On Saturday I decided I wanted to go to the beach.  I feel like I need to actually see the ocean and feel the cool water on my feet at least once a year.  So I thought I may go to Myrtle Beach, but I wanted a more  peaceful beach.  I have always wanted to see the wild horses of Corolla, so I decided to go for it!  I only stayed one night, left on Wednesday and came back on Thursday, but I packed in as much fun (and a little relaxation) as I could.

Wild Spanish Mustangs at Corolla, NC
 I had no idea they would be right in people's yards.  Notice the dog looking out the window.

 Can I get a ride? Cattle Egret
Apparently they like to come down to the beach to cool down.

The tour I went on was through the Corolla Wild Horse Fund, a non-profit organization, http://www.corollawildhorses.com/.  I highly recommend the tour.

Atlantic Ocean
 There was a deer out in front of the hotel!
This is Sysco, she lives at the hotel.

This is from the 2003 Celebration of Flight Centennial commemorating the Wright Brothers historic flight at Kitty Hawk. These painted horses were everywhere, but I was really drawn to this one. :)

Sunrise
Currituck Beach Lighthouse. I climbed to the top (holding on for dear life).
Monarch on the pathway to the Currituck Sound
 Currituck Sound - Great Egret
Currituck Sound - Little Blue Heron>

On the way home I went through Manteo, so I decided to stop at the Elizabethan Gardens.  I was pretty happy, because I got to see 2 butterflies I have never seen in the wild.

 Palamedes Swallowtail
Gulf Fritillary



No comments:

Post a Comment